Friday 30 September 2011

The Musings of a Man about to leave.

 On Sunday, I move away up to Reading University for my second crack at being a useful academic individual. This is more than likely going to be the last post from my house in Sunny (for the time being) (it won't last) Devon.

Looking around me, I'm squished into the back room of my house in Paignton, totally surrounded by my miscellaneous worldy belongings, and my best friend the piano. Among these scattered tokens of my personality are:

  • Cutlery
  • An accordion
  • A crapload of clothes
  • A whole box of just Pokemon gaming stuff
  • A PS1, and random awesome games (nostalgia!!)
  • A keytar
  • Wires. Just a load of rather useful wires that are no doubt already tangled up
  • A case of Juggling equipment and of course the ol' one wheel bike
I could go on for more, but I feel I would detract away from the point of this post, which I can assure you was not just to write a list of "things I own"...

I feel mentally and physically prepared this time. Mentally, I have an idea of what it will be like, and I'm about prepared to give up living at home and working in the local wetherspoon. Physically... well I'm about as fit I was last time (not that it made a difference) and there have been advances in the alcohol processing of my liver and my palette for real ale and fortified red wines. I have also added a modicum of ridiculousness in the form of hair dye to my otherwise boring blonde hair. ...So I stand in good stead. 

I think I am a more grown up person than I was last time. Less naive perhaps for good reason, but that doesn't mean you won't catch me in  freshers week "rather inebriated" and looking "potentially embarrassing" in any manner of downright farcical garments that will theoretically make up a themed costume. 

I do however have a considerably more sizeable list of short and long term goals this time around. I thought it would be amusing to take note of them before I hopefully don't fail at all of them:
  • Continue running as my chosen sport. I went to Bath University rather fit from all the competitive road racing and years of training, but kicked that in the arse as soon as I got there and lost all my fitness. I struggled when I came back to training, regrettably. Its taken me a year of hard work to get back to where I was 2 years ago, and I'm committed to not letting it slide this time. SO TAKE NOTE, I intend to Join "Reading Road Runners", train with them, and race well.
  • Actually finish the course. I know its a no-brainer, but lets face it, I didn't go to University the first time around with the intention of NOT ACTUALLY GRADUATING and ducking out after a year. This fact is not going to make me work any harder than I did before, because that wasn't the problem. I worked my poor brain into the ground and came out with incredibly poor results that were both understandable, given my lack of understanding of mathematics, and very demoralising.
  • I'd like to meet a nice girl. I say no more. Rather unsurprisingly, living at home and working for wetherspoons lands you with a theoretical dust bowl for meeting new people .Also, its Devon. A lot of people are here to retire, not to find boyfriends or anything like that. My last experience of University in that respect was rather jaded, as I had the proverbial shackles of a relationship back home on the go. These shackles were by no means shackling, as in unenjoyable, but nonetheless I shared no part in mixing with new people on anything other than a friendship level. Time passes and I'm used to being a singularity again and have been for a while. Maybe University will change things up. Make no mistake, I'm not going looking, but I won't have my eyes shut either.
Well that was deep. And now to lighten the mood, a list of considerably more pointless short term goals:
  • Join the Real Ale Society. Now my interest is rooted, I see no reason to not join a club and meet like minded people.
  • Keep juggling! Yes, well... keep juggling and learning amusing circus tricks I guess. Its fun.
  • Organise my underwear and socks better than last year.
  • Get a cupboard in the kitchen early so I don't end up under the sink again
  • Possibly start a quote board, that was fun.
  • Continue to be a musician in every way. All the way from trying not to be a philistine about metal, walking around in a bowler hat, to continuing to be in a kickass band with James and G. 
I think thats about it. Sorry about no pictures. The camera is packed! but I will just open my picture file and find a random one thats quite funny. And post it below. Lets see....


AHA! Raccoons. There you go.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you want to keep juggling :) I've hung out with RUCAS at various conventions and they are awesome. Maybe you should try joggling...

    ReplyDelete