Saturday 12 December 2009

Bath Water?

When I first came to Bath for University, everything was fine and we were all settling in. However, I did have one annoyance. Usually at home I drink a lot of water throughout the day, wandering about with a bottle half the time. This is a useful habit, as it keeps me fresh and perky and helps to keep me awake when I'm trying to work. Unfortunately, the water here was alien to me.

As my Devonshire friends will know, the water in Devon is lovely. Very lacking in all the minearls which bring about hard water, its also clear, and refreshing. The water in devon is soft, and is brilliant for making a nice cup of tea. So you can imagine my horror when I first went downstairs to have a glass of water, only to find it is hard, 'mineraly' and a bit cloudy. It tasted like absolutely what I don't want from a glass of water. Zero refreshment, only a slight change in facial expression as it is drunk. (You know that kind of slight shudder and wince akin to a child sipping beer)

I then went to Games Workshop in bath to buy a few paints for some of my Warhammer. I got speaking to the manager about life back in Paignton and Torquay. You see, Alan worked in the Torquay store funnily enough, and has since moved to bath. He asked how I was finding it here compared to Paignton, to which I replied 'The water is shocking'.

He seemed surprised. Sipping at his mug of tea, he explained that he hates the water in Devon. Finds it tasteless and vile. He said the water here is lovely. I couldn't help but disagree and explained my predicament with the variation between soft and hard water. He chuckled, and nodded. 'Ah, It'll grow on you', he said.

I will now with a heavy heart say that he was in fact correct. When I first came back to Devon, I took Devon water back to bath with me because I couldn't stand the taste of it here. But now, I don't feel the need to do that. In fact, I had a shock when I found I slightly dislike the taste of Devon water now... I class myself as a convert. It is depressing, considering how much I used to love Devon water, but at least now I can refresh myself here in peace.

5 comments:

  1. The water here is still awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well seeing as your in a city which is pretty famous for its H2O, not really surprising :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would that be a wince that you are describing in a very long winded, flowery kind of way?

    In my experience the best water is found in the Alps, fresh from the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. la de da fresh water from the spring eh? haha I still prefer the devon stuff, on my trip to see karys I had to drink bottled water because the tap water was of a non drinkable variety (to me)
    Sadly if I get the uni place I want I will be in the same position and most likely convert too it is a sad sad day for devonshire water lost but not forgotten

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant stand this water and so have resorted to buying Lidl water, i know I know it ain't good but meh, it really sucks up here.

    by anychance is that armless Alan?

    ReplyDelete