Thursday 11 March 2010

7 hours of my time well spent

Yesterday I was doing my Lab report. Until somebody suggested we played monopoly.

Yes, there were many jibes about how the game takes too long to play properly, and how it is colloquially known as "monotony", and how the only eventual outcome of the game is everyone giving up or getting bored.

However, we began anyway. At approximately 11:30pm. Our new found friend James from next door joined us for the fun as well. The game started off slowly, with everyone except for myself ending up forcing everyone to not have a full set of houses and refusing to sell. My tactic is usually to buy the cheapest sets of houses while I can, and just build them up and start sucking money out of people early. This strategy usually works well if you are playing with people who give up after over 2 hours, so that way I usually win.


However, I was playing with 2 mathematicians and a business student.

An hour in, I knew I had made a mistake when all the other properties were out of reach because people were trying to sell them on for absurd amounts like 2 and a half grand for 2 properties. A further hour in, and some of us were staring bankruptcy right in the face, but some of us were raking it in. Phil for example managed to acquire the green set and built 3 houses each on there. This was almost immediately effective on our money- he may as well have just built a pipe from our wallets into his pocket.

Well, 4 hours in, it was getting late. I said, "you realise now that we have come so far, nobody is allowed to leave until the game finishes according to the relevant rules." I suppose we were all doomed really.

At 3 in the morning, I decided to cook a pasta bake to sustain myself.

At 4 in the morning, Phil brought his duvet and pillow down. He still had only put 3 houses on his greens, and said he 'simply couldn't be arsed to build more' (even thought that is the purpose of the game)


We all knew at one point it had to finish. As the sun began to rise for the next morning, James Rooney went bankrupt. I shortly followed due to my lack of worthwhile income.

After heated debates and a LOAD of banter, the game was finally over. AT PRECISELY 6:23am.

Even though we had lectures in the morning, playing monopoly for 7 hours flat was time well spent. I can now honestly say I have participated in a monopoly game that has reached completion. Beat that. I have never seen a monopoly borad like this, where pretty much anywhere you land charges you over 1000 pounds. It was insane, really.


What was ironic, was that we had a toss up between scrabble and monopoly to start with. I said that monopoly takes almost exponentially longer to do than scrabble, however Joe disagreed and said "oh come on, Scrabble takes just as long."
I don't know what type of scrabble joe has played before. You also may notice that Joe attempted to hide himself from every picture, because 'his hair wasn't ready'.


In the words of Phil, "man the f*** up Joe!"

3 comments:

  1. "almost exponentially longer to do than scrabble" is that grammatically correct

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldnt say so looking at it now- nothing can be almost exponential... but it still took bloody ages

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like my movie night altho with less gladiators and more plastic houses

    ReplyDelete