Tuesday 9 March 2010

A Long post, for a long weekend. (part 1)

Hey guys. sorry about the fact that for the last few days my blog has been somewhat entertainment free, but I have good reason. For the first time, Sophie came up to visit me for the weekend! It was so nice to see her, because, well, she's awesome. I feel I have to split this blog into a number of parts so it is not too daunting to read, and I hope that makes it better. However, I must warn you, this is nothing short of a novel.

CHAPTER 1: WELL THATS JUST 'MASSIVE ASS'

Well, on thursday, I was greatly anticipating the arrival of a certain Sophie Ackers the next day. As a result, I had tidied my room for the first time since new year, washed all my clothes, hid the dead body of a decapitated badger, washed my crockery and cutlery, and even made my bed. However, me being a Chemistry undergraduate and all, there is never nothing to do as far as work is concerned. As it stood, if I wanted a free weekend to spend with Sophie, I would have to complete my lab work and hand in a full lab report by friday at 1:15. Just to let you know, Sophie's train arrived in the station at 12:56.
I said to myself, OK, this is do-able. Just work hard and get it all sorted out. And that was exactly what I did. I did all the lab work, and at 5:15 in the evening, I was confident that my results would stand up and I would not need to attend Friday's laboratory session. All that was left to do was complete the lab report.
I went home.
I had dinner. (Jacket potato with cheese, pepper and salmon trimmings)
It was now 7:45pm. Lab report is still do-able for tomorrow. A few minutes later, I decided that I should start my report. I opened my bag, and what should I find?
A PEN.

But that was all. NO LAB MANUAL.

I must state that my lab manual contains not only all my results from my experiments, but all of the calculations I had prepared in order to analyse everything properly. They weren't by any means easy.    *FLASHBACK*    I suddenly remembered being at my locker, and calmly placing the manual on the top. *END OF FLASHBACK*    Never having needed the labs at 8 in the evening, I took the risk about running there and trying to see if it was open. I made it! But it was locked.

I only heard the sound of a solitary hoover in the distance somewhere in the building.
I muttered to myself, "...massive ass...", and left for home.

CHAPTER 2: I DON'T WANT YOUR THUMBS UP

After my massive blunder the night before, my alarm alerts me to the presence of a new day at precisely 6:01 in the morning. (why not go for the extra minute?)

I get up, brush my teeth and head out to the lab. (I know, they're open at 6:30. I was like, "good, but why not 8pm? huh? huh?") I picked up my lab maual from where I had left it and trudged out to the library. I walked in through the automatic doors and saw one of the night-time staff were just leaving. We made eye contact. I pointed at the lab manual and shook my head. He looked at me and gave me a F***ING THUMBS UP! Not what I need. I sat down and worked solid until half 11 in the afternoon and gave in my lab report, finally. I checked my wallet and many a metaphorical moth escaped. Looks like I was walking to the station.

Looking back on it now, It was a very nice day. In fact, the first actually decent weather we have had on the hill in quite some time. This made the walk nicer, and somewhat erased the memory of the sarcastic thumbs up in the face of despair. I made it, having felt thoroughly refreshed from the journey.
I waited at the station until Sophie's train arrived. She came through the gates, visibly shaken from the journey (seriously, she has a fear of travelling alone on trains) and we hugged and exchanged a few little 'I missed you' kisses (they are one of the best kinds).

We made the journey back up to campus as Sophie described to me how her and her mother got lost on the way during an open day, ended up in claverton (3 miles east. I know.) but still beat a lot of the prospectives because of the horrible traffic situation. Never a better use of the word WIN.

CHAPTER 3: ...AWKWARD...

Well, needless to say, me and Sophie have spoken on webcam before. Therefore, she had already met a few of them. This takes something away from the whole 'first impression thing' as you would expect.

I then said to Sophie that now is the time I usually go and practice juggling with my fellow jugglers at the juggling club. She insisted on coming along becuase she wanted to see 'how I live my life' at University. Well, we went. And I juggled a bit. Spoke to other jugglers. But I felt like I couldn't just zone out and practice without neglecting my dear Sophie, who had only just arrived. Sophie started talking to Kelly, one of the members of the club. They quickly established that Sophie could not successfully throw a ball from one hand to the other. On that note, we left early. But hey, I don't base my love for her on the abilty to juggle. That is by no means what I look for in a relationship! haha.



Wow, Its getting late. Well, stay tuned for more on this weekend when I get around to it (it gets better). In the meantime, I have a brief but important post to write on my undertakings this evening.

JD

No comments:

Post a Comment