Tuesday 13 April 2010

Is the dark side really the dark side?

I know I have always condemned the release of Pokemon on the nintendo DS, about how it had all gone too far past the first 150... but something made me realise that it is not bad.

Let me outline a few things, using valid examples. I dislike it when the game format of a classic is changed to fit a more generic modern audience. this sucks. For example, Sonic the Hedgehog is now 3D, has a storyline, races cars, turns into a werewolf, has a sword, etc etc. WRONG WRONG WRONG. This tampers with the very essence of why i fell in love with the original scroll platform games.

another Example, Crash Bandicoot. OK, Crash team racing was awesome. But in the pusuit of new grounds to break, they have ruined what he was about. they have given him stupid abilities and remodelled him to look more modern.

The above arguments, I used to use when condemning pokemon diamond and pearl. But recently i have relaised that in fact, the Pokemon franchise has not fallen into the same trap as poor sonic and crash. they have consistently made good games which simply build on the last. The music is essentially the same, the battle style is the same, and the game design and layout is still the same. People of our generation mostly reject any version of pokemon past ruby and sapphire. I believe this is just lack of nostalgia. Sure, you will never beat the original, because it is the original. The oldest and most famous pokemon will always be the most popular.

But I thought, screw it- the reveiws were bloody good- so why not. So I have bought a DS and pokemon Diamond and am currently having a whale of a time. I even had the audacity to put a Sudowoodo sticker on it.


I must also give massive Kudos to the guys behind the legend of Zelda. My god you guys cant put a foot wrong. EVEN in DS.

No comments:

Post a Comment