Monday 30 March 2009

Teignbridge Ten

As most of you may know, i am in fact a long distance runner. This Sunday i competed in my first official ten mile race in kingsteignton. There was a good turnout from my club, (south devon AC) and all together there was around 300 runners on the day.

I started out at the front of the pack with the likes of the 10 mile veterans such as Peter Monaghan from Torbay AC, and started off strong in about 7th place for about the first 3 miles. However, not being as experienced as some of the seasoned runners, i soon found myself struggling to stay with the lead pack.

I made the decision to pull back slightly, because i knew i would not be able to continue this pace for a further 7 miles! by this time i also had stiched up a bit, so i just had to run through it.

I was overtaken by a few runners like David Tomlin and triathalete Helen Dyke in the process. About 6 miles in i spotted a fellow runner from my club, Rob leeke, appearing slightly behind me. I picked up the pace and tried to throw him off my trail, and i began to pull away coming up to the 8 mile mark.

Mind you, Rob is a very good runner and has been running for at least 20 years more than me- so i was unsurprised by the fact he overtook me a mile to the end.

I finished 12th place in 1 hour 2 minutes and 15 seconds.

Gloin?

No comments:

Post a Comment