Sunday 24 October 2010

The Pokemon Club

And so, our heroes venture on into the next town, where they will face danger and many more adventures.

As promised in a previous post, here is the fourth and final essential update on my life story. The fact that a quarter of "essential updates on my life story" are about Pokemon may be misconstrued as "sad" or "depressing", but on the contrary I feel it is more reassuring that I am still staying in touch with my roots.
To be fair, the term 'roots' generally refers to origins or family, but you must bear in mind that Pokemon was one of the very early games I played for a largely extended period of time (for example, a saved game lasting over 100 hours) when I was just a wee bairn. Other games that fit this category are of course Sonic on the sega megadrive, and Crash Bandicoot on the PS1.

So yeah, I still play Pokemon. Quite regularly in fact.

One of the great things about my situation is that the rest of the band and some of my other friends all play pokemon as well! One or two of them are newly introduced, and there is a few crafty veterans. Here is the run down of people I now trade and battle with. If they have blogs, they're names are linked.

Tom "Big G" Wade: Rhythm Guitar in the band (RATP). Newly re-introduced to the Pokemon world, I believ he has played it before and understands the basics. Currently boasting a full set of kanto and johto gym badges, he battles well but has a few issues with keeping his party at consistent levels and not over training a particular pokemon (AMPHAROS!!)

Ricky Moysey: Namesake of RATP come bass player, he is a hardened (ha ha, hardened...) veteran with lots of experience like myself. His pokemon are well trained and he makes good choices in type effectiveness in his party of 6. If there is one downside, he often is pressed for time to train, so in some cases his pokemon have not put up much of a fight. But watch this space- Ranger Moysey is in town.

James Wade: Lead Guitar in RATP. Well, he kind of plays Pokemon. He owns a game boy original and pokemon blue. Never having played any video games in his life for any long period of time, he is a pokefan with an L plate. Gradually getting the idea of how the game works, I hope he will see how awesome it all is and eventually invest in more up to date technology so we can battle.

William "Billy" Wade: Younger sibling of the two Wades in the band, he is also just learning how to play pokemon to mine and Ricky's standard. After a few horrendous choices of pokemon to have in his party, most notably, FURRET.... he is picking himself back up and finding his feet in the pokemon world.

Graham Litt: Drum guy in the band. He is also A veteran like me and Ricky. He has a lot of experience with the generation II games, but not so much with anything afterwards. This is a shame, because I think he would be a good Pokemon trainer if he couldonly be bothered to save up for a DS.

Mike Radant: Bass and backing vocals in a local band, Plight of the Powerless. He is another veteran who is experienced up to generation III we are yet to have a battle in recent years, but If I recall in primary school we were pretty evenly matched.

...
So these people are who I have as challengers. (Perhaps James is a bit moot, but we'll see). Here is a few note worthy facts about me and pokemon.

  • I know the majority of evolution levels or methods, catch rates, names and locations of the vast majority of pokemon.
  • I can tell you what ANY pokemon evolves into
  • I could tell you where to find most items in Gen I and pretty much how to do absolutely anything.
  • I could tell how to do almost anything on Gen III
  • Bulbapedia is one of my speed dial icons on Google Chrome, as is pokemonepisode.org
  • And can play a number of the tunes that appear on the game, on the piano.
  • I can recognise any town in Gen I by the music associated.
  • And for my most accidentally impressive talent, I can recognise about 90% of the first 150 pokemon simply by the noise they make on the game.

...

So there we are. Pokemon is definately still cool. Maybe only in our little world, but hey, I live in that little world.

3 comments:

  1. I would like to state James' gameboy is actually mine. I lent it to him and he never gave me it back. I bought him a clear gameboy last year for his birthday but he still refuses to give me my yellow one back, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, then you could play Pokemon too! I wonder if you would also be as terrible as James... challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could. I think Super Mario is more my sort of thing (it is a bit more cute). Six Golden Coins FTW! haha.

    ReplyDelete