Saturday 7 January 2012

"BANBNA" comes comfortably third

Yesterday was pretty interesting, I attended my first session of 'secret training' with South Devon AC. From what I can gather, this group usually includes the likes of Dent and Mac (amongst a few others) and is mostly based around building up one's pace and speed training. We went through what I can only describe as a 'gruelling' 4 x 1000m session against the clock.

I personally don't mind 1000m reps. But when I have James Dent breathing down my neck for 990m it becomes a slightly different story. After the third repetition, I said to Mac:

"Here's a good metaphor for you- you know those new seasoning bags which have like chicken and seasoning in, the ones where you have to shake them up? My entire abdomen feels like one of those."

After the 4th repetition, I added:

"...remember the metaphor from before? Now there are some stones in the bag too."

 But hey ho, you put in what you get out. Despite Dent's collar bone injury (as a result of taking off a sweater too vigorously) he still put me well through my paces. Hopefully I gave him a rabbit to chase too. So yeah, good training session.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the evening I went to Anna's house to catch up with some of my old friends. We played various Wii games, need I mention the appearance of 'Just Dance 3'... It appeared to be one of those games which would either sink or swim for me. At first everyone wanted to play, but nobody wanted to go first. After the first tentative few games it all got competitive and hilarious! My personal favourite was 'This is Halloween', where I got to play the part of a pumpkin.

The next game we decided to play was something called "Family Party". Needless to say by both the title and cover, this game looked to be absolute horse shit.


However, we made it fun. At the beginning we had the option of writing our names and choosing our characters.
To add a modicum of fun and unpredictability, we banned the use of any corrections on spelling mistakes to the names. As you know, it is difficult to type a name on a screen with a pointer from the Wii remote. And so, we ended up with the following character names.

ADAM = AAADD
RACHEL = RRACHE
JIMMY = JINMY

and my personal favourite,

ANNA =BANBNA

Well this game was essentially a series of mini games with somewhat basic controlling methods. Often the games were strikingly similar to games that have appeared on 'Takeshi's Castle', so you get the idea.

One of the more amusing aspects of the game was the character choices. As the name suggests, it is a family game. So of course, you have the option to be a dad, mum, boy girl, grandpa, grandma etc... Once again my personal favourite was BANBNA, as it was amusing to see a grandpa doing well on an obstacle course. Although for some members of the group, the only obstacle seemed to be their inability to understand the controls... (anna.... fiona... to an extent also, me...)

As a result, when sharing BANBNA between me and anna, we came comfortably third out of four on most occasions. And besides, who knew trying to cut a fake log could be so exhilarating.


Finally, we (tried) to play Sonic and Mario at the Olympic games. First of all, I was both bothered and disturbed that it was possible at all for Mario (a fat italian plumber) to beat Sonic the hedgehog (quoted in his TV series theme song as being 'the fastest thing alive') in a test of speed- I'll just make that point and leave it.


Anyway, we got on with the tournament. But after 8 rounds of Archery, 1 race, and 8 rounds of 'clay pigeon shooting' we soon tired of the concept. In Anna's words, "...clay pigeon shooting is 'wank'".

I can only agree.

1 comment:

  1. oh bandna! i enjoyed my selection of grandad.. i also cant believe so much was won by a small ginger girl...AND i will always stick by the statement on clay pigeon shooting..what was the point?! lol x

    ReplyDelete