Tuesday 31 January 2012

Warhammer pokes its head out from under the Carpet

It has been a long time since I was involved with Warhammer and the likes of Games Workshop, but recently I have started a fresh sketchbook devoted just to that sort of stuff. Last week I had a thought when a friend of mine said to me, "Games Workshop would seriously miss out if they never hired you as an artist, sculptor or designer"

I was quite flattered, but it got me thinking. What if- now hear me out here- I took an internship as an apprentice model designer at Games Workshop after this degree, instead of jumping straight into teaching in a school? I mean, as long as I'm earning money, I have all my remaining years to teach. I think it might be nice to pursue something I'm considered talented at, and something that I enjoy on a very nerdy level beforehand.

Here is the sculpture I knocked together which prompted the aforementioned quote from my friend.




So there you are, a rudimentary Warhammer 40k Ork bust made in clay in about an hour.

Another little project I have started in light of recent developments is a new sketchbook. I figured if I am going to present a portfolio of designs and sketches to my future employer, I need some... well... designs and sketches. So to start off this new book, I drew some Eldar Guardians (using a reference) with a cool backdrop. Quite ambitious to start off with, but I'm happy with it.


Next sketch should be fleshing out this Tyranid Hormagaunt, once I get around to it.


Who knows, I'll either be glad of spending my down time drawing if I follow through this idea, or at least I'll have some cool pictures to show if I don't. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment