Friday 19 February 2010

Inorganic Time-wastery

I spent 8 hours in a lab today, working on some ion-exchange resin. Let me give you the low down on standard lab prep.
  1. Lab instructor emails you to collect your lab manual 1 week to 3 days in advance
  2. You collect the manual, and read about the experiments you will be doing
  3. You read and/ or watch any required books/ videos that help you understand the appropriate techniques
  4. You complete usually approximately 2-3 hours worth of preliminary work BEFORE the lab. this could be research, questions, equation sheets etc.
The basic idea is that you turn up to the lab with complete understanding of what you are supposed to be doing, how it works and how to do it properly without making a tit out of yourself. Here is what actually happened today:
  1. No emails received prior to lab session.
  2. Consulted my peers, they too had no idea what was happening
  3. There were no lab manuals available to collect
  4. We all turned up to the lab, and were given our manuals to look at for the first time
  5. Lab working time starts now.
In a nutshell, I wasted 2-3 hours of my potential lab time working on preliminary work that I could have done in my own time beforehand if I was given the manual. In semester 2, we are timetabled for 8 hours in the lab on thursday, and 4 on friday. So naturally, everyone's goal is to finish quickly so you don't have to come in on friday.


I asked Dr Johnson why we had not been given the lab manuals sooner. Here is the dialogue that followed.


Me: But we could have done the preliminary work beforehand and had longer to read about the experiment!
Dr Johnson: HAHAHAHAHA
Me:...
Dr Johnson: But this is a short experiment, and if we gave you the manual earlier you would have definately finished before friday- and you're timetabled for friday
Me: you have got to be kidding


I was like "oh, man" for the whole day after that. Especially because I have essentially been tricked into making my way to the lab at 8:30 in the morning on an inevitably snailing (see previous post) day rather than asleep until 2 in the afternoon.


Gah.

2 comments:

  1. Well not much to say about that but pwhahahahahahhahahahahaha... *ahem* pwhahahahahha... unlucky mate, well at least its better than looking at dead things in rocks (Palaeontology) or looking at v.thin versions of rocks and minerals in a microscope =P I've been called Ross (from friends, you david schwimmer)so many times and i don't even have black hair or look him?! You still up for a night in Bath town when i'm there on 6/3/2010 to 7/3/2010????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinda sounds like my today; only in retrospect mine was not so bad; 2 lectures in the morning, one of which was highly amusing - see my blog (when I write it) followed by 3hours of colorimetry (yay!) followed by what will likely be 5-8hours of write up.NOOOOOOOO. Also next week as I'm coming to visit you I need to get an essay written and revise for a test; gonna be fun.

    ReplyDelete