Sunday 4 October 2009

Don't even look at it... unless your a greased-up ninja

Picture this, we are all in the eating area at about 11:30pm. Some of us are playing cards, some of us are juggling (guess who) and some of us are listening to music. It is late, and I must be up in the morning for a lecture. So I decide it is time to go to bed. Spot anything wrong with this? (other than the fact i was juggling instead of playing cards) No? Well your right. However...

  • There is an extractor fan in the kitchen.
  • It is very loud and annoying.
  • It is motion sensitive.
  • There is NO off switch.
  • It turns off after 20 or so minutes of stillness in the kitchen.

What has this got to do with cards, or bedtime? I want to go to bed. The others want to stay up. We have an open plan kitchen/eating area. In order to get to the door, you must walk past the kitchen. Generally, the opening of the door turns on the fan.

So everybody had been gradually getting annoyed with the extractor fan, but after 20 minutes was up, the fan turns off.

*Sigh of relief* Harry: "Thank God."

Everybody is pleased. Until I say I'm off to sleep.

So the impossible challenge begins... With all of my housemates staring at me, I start to edge slowly to the door...

Harry: "Don't you dare..."

I explained that I had to get there somwhow. So I sneak about halfway to the kitchen, and reach for the doorhandle- Indiana Jones style... I grab it. The atmosphere in the room is tense. The pressure on me was as if i was trying to diffuse a bomb... All the eyes in the room were on me. As a edge to the door, i turn around to see if the motion sensor's light is registering my movement. Irish Phil quickly interjects:

"Don't even look at it..."

I slide slowly between the partially open door and slip through like a greased-up ninja. Job done.

2 comments:

  1. Why are you doing chemistry? You should be doing english and become a novelist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvellous piece of work there, JD. Both the navigation out of the room and the piece you've written on it here. That simple act of defiance against the extractor fan will stay in our hearts untill the end of time. One to tell the grandchildren about.

    ReplyDelete