Saturday 3 October 2009

the Naked Fire Drill

Just to put you into perspective, we had our very first fire drill today. At 7:30! in the morning! after i had only got to sleep at 2! in the morning!

So here is what happened. Precisely 7:30am, this ear piercingly loud alarm begins to sound, violently jolting everyone from their sleep. When i woke up, i was in that semi awake state- you know that one where your not quite with it, and make stupid decisions and don't understand what is going on- yeah, that.

At first, i thought my alarm clock was going off. My alarm clock works on the basis that it wakes me up with my own music from my iPod on the dock.
So when this alarm started, i totally ignored the fact that it sounded nothing like my music... and in a sleepy confusion tried to disable my alarm clock. First of all, i pulled my iPod off the docking station without pressing the clip down, promptly breaking the connection and bending the metal prongs out of place.
*the alarm continues to sound*
This confused me even more, and so still not quite awake, I rolled out of bed and tried to reset my alarm manually. Somehow i managed to take the plug out, reset the time and nearly break the reset button!
*the alarm continues to sound*
At this point it dawned on me that this was in fact a fire drill. I remembered yesterday was a very warm evening. And so then it dawned on me that i was also in fact naked. And i had broken my alarm clock for no apparent reason. Crap.
I threw on whatever clothes came to hand, and ended up with the rest of my dazed housemates outside on the square after fleeing the flat. It seemed everybody else had had similar trouble putting on their clothes hastily. But i bet I was the only one who had put on their underwear backwards during the confusion.
We staggered back into the house, and i went back to sleep until 1pm in the afternoon.
PS: Yes, i have now put my underwear on the right way round, and fixed my alrm clock with a pair of tweezers. 1up.

2 comments: