Friday 12 November 2010

Day 05: Brewing my own ale

Sorry for the lack of updates about how this is going, I have been very upset recently and not really in a state to do anything constructive whatsoever.

Anyway, the ale officially started brewing on roughly tuesday morning (giving the yeast time to wake up), so by my reckoning it has been on the go for 3 solid days. It all seems to be going quite well, although I have not tasted it or anything. There is still a fair amount of fermenting going on because I can smell yeast and alcohol coming from my barrel.

Yesterday, I took a hydrometer reading to see how far the process has gone and how much alcohol is there so far. I got a reading of about 1.020. I started with a reading of 1.042, so I know that it is working. I aim to get a final reading of about 1.002, which should work out to about 5.5% alcohol.

I plan to bottle the ale and begin secondary fermentation sometime on sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment