Tuesday 9 November 2010

Stronger Legs.

In the last few weeks, I have really ramped up my running training in the hopes of getting to the standard I was when I was about 17. And well what do you know, it seems to be working! My legs feel so strong right now and the running itself is so much easy and less laboured.

Some of you may know I am a runner and competed in many events back in the day, for example (see if you can find me)

I have won awards in South Devon Athletic and I am last years winner of the club championship. I currently hold the shield for the under 20s in South Devon Athletic, which I hope to retain this year. I was once the fastest member of the whole South Devon team and very successful in my pursuits. However, I went to Uni and broke my back, and I just never got round to training again from then. Ever. I have now decided that I want to get all that back in the year that I am taking off from education.

So I have been training hard for about a month and it is finally paying off. The guy that I am chasing at the club at the moment is Jamie Dent, and he is mid 30s and basically a machine built for just running. He aced the entire years worth of senior grand prix races without losing one and he is (was) so far out my league its untrue.
But how things have changed. Today at training we did a timed 3k race, and I was close to him, even briefly in front, all the way. He was actually pleased to have some competition.

Its kind of a mixed pot really. He beat his PB for 3k from 9:57 to 9:45, so a really good result from him. I set a PB for me of 9:48. I am slowly moving into his league. To give you an idea of this 'league', the person in third place was on 10:20...

So if all goes well I hope to knock old Jim Dent off his pedestal next year, as lovely as he is. I want my crown  and throne back.

No comments:

Post a Comment