Monday 13 December 2010

Impromptu Christmas Dinner

A little while ago, I was invited to come and sing at Coombe Bank, a home for the elderly in Brixham. I would be providing the after dinner entertainment for them by opening my mouth and making noise in a seasonal fashion. 

As it was a thursday morning, naturally me and Ricky were asleep in the Garden room. We woke up and snuck out the house and made our way to the home. That morning, I text Sophie Bower, who was organising the event. I said something like "see you soon, I'll be there in a minute. Is it ok if Shaky comes along as well?"

Well you can see the mistake.

She replies with "yeah sure, but who is Shaky?"

Friends of Ricky or anybody that wishes to include the word "Ricky" in their subject matter for text based messaging will understand that if they use predictive text, the combination of buttons that spells Ricky just spells Shaky instead most of the time. And now since then, Sophie has just called Ricky, Shaky. Much to his "delight".


See? Delighted. Well we were actually, because we got Christmas Dinner. And party hats. The funny thing was, because Ricky had turned up pretty much impromptu, there was not enough Christmas dinners to go round. We decided to share one between us. Curiously, the woman in charge of the dinner distribution came over and said "for some reason there is one extra". So we ate that one two. As you can see, me and Ricky are getting quite... close. Sharing a bed at the wades, and sharing eachothers dinners. No need to be suspicious though, ladies...

I also had a rather... dashing... party hat. The room was so full of christmas spirit you could hardly breathe.


James bower was there too, with another classic example of fantastically amazing seasonal headwear. This was the happiest he looked all afternoon, as he spent the majority of his time looking after someones baby. He enjoyed a beer after dinner though so all was not lost.


As the dinner drew to a close I popped in my backing tracks and sang a variety of christmas and regular standards for the residents. In the true spirit of 'christmas', I finished my set with a Song from Hercules. Sweet.

1 comment: