Tuesday 21 December 2010

Various Grime terms.

Only for the second time ever, I have read my timetable wrong and arrived at work 2 hours early. I suppose in hindsight it does give me time to do some catch up blogging.

So I'll begin with some things I was talking to Big G about earlier in the car. Big G is a big fan of this music genre called "grime". To my understanding (that may not be accurate at all) it is kind of like english rap, where the subject matter tends to be self boasting. Here is the general gist of most grime songs I have heard. ...

"I have more money and girls than you. Also, I am great at sex. You are rubbish, and you are not rich or very cool. My music is excellent and will make lots of money, and yours is terrible and not worth listening to. Did I mention I am rich"

That seems to be mostly it. Anyway, some of these grime artists sometimes throw in some puns which are quite amusing, but in most cases they seem out of place.

To my knowledge there also seems to be some kind of 'clique' or 'communion' of grime artists that refer to themselves as "BBK", aka "boy better know"... It seems that rather than a club, it is more like a brand or something, and only people that one artist called JME lets in are allowed. Still, boy better know doesn't have any relevance to actual literal meaning I find, as it just appears to say 'young man should probably have some knowledge'.


Whether this is relevant to anything in the grime scene I have no idea, but I am not saying it is wrong or useless. ... That would make me a philistine.

Another section of this post is my understanding of words that claim to be english. First of all, "Parring".

I was told by big G that 'parring' or he/ she/ it 'pars' is the casual insulting of people and generally being very slightly arrogant. Essentially, not parring enough seems to mean that as a grime artist you are appearing too nice, not boasting about your assets or laughing at other peoples misfortune enough.

Secondly, misrepresentation of the verb 'to spray'. Contrary to its common term, it means (grossly enough) to improvise rapping into the microphone. So yeah, rapping on the spot into a mic to the point where you are quite literally spraying out words. Nice.

1 comment:

  1. My understanding was that BBK was B. B. King, parring is a lazy man's sparring and 'to spray' is a really nasty way of putting ejaculation.
    I hate grime.

    ReplyDelete