Friday 3 December 2010

James Corden- Yay or Nay?

Having just read another very convincing argument by Paddy Turpin, I can entirely see where he is coming from. He is right- You CANNOT assume you are funny because you are loud and fat. It is not cool to find yourself funnier than others find you, and that seems to be the way it has worked out. And yet, he is now very famous? It doesn't make sense.

I cannot pretend I watched any of Gavin and Stacey, but from what I hear it was quite good, as its followers seemed to never want the series to end. By my reckoning, I can see how James Corden would fit in as his character, "Smithy", as the loud, fat one. Most comedies need an outspoken and overweight character on the sidelines to provide that sort of slapstick. Lets face it, a fat person ripping their trousers is funnier than a thin person. So my opinion on Gavin and Stacey is- moot. Sorry, but it is.

As for Horne and Corden, well I saw most of that series. It was just on at a convenient time. I watched the whole first series, and my conclusion (and wade will back me up on this) is that there is only ONE funny sketch. Just the ONE. In the whole series. Here it is. I personally thought this was quite funny.



This just plays on the fact he is fat again, but in a funnier way that just stating it. However, the rest of the series was all cringeworthy. And not the good kind of cringeworthy. More the kind where "oh god, they thought this was going to be really funny".

I will say that James Corden, despite his continuous references to being fat and laughing at himself in a high voice, definately has a place in shows where you play a character. For that reason, I actually think their film "lesbian vampire killers" was really good. I'll admit to that.

However, I will side with Paddy when we both say that HE HAS NO PLACE in any of the following:

  • Panel shows
  • Presenting anything
  • Advertising
  • The music industry
Where you could possibly see the use of a fat and loud character in a fictional setting, the same can not be applied to anything else. He can be just irritating. Like that world cup show he did- during extra time they had all had a few beers because they went on air late. He was a little drunk when they went on air, and he thought it was hilarious because he was loud, drunk and fat.

In the words of the wise Patrick Turpin: "Who else but Corden?!"

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you and Paddy. Gavin and Stacey was good, but that wasn't entirely dependant on the performance of James Corden, he wasn't the best character by any means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I don't understand is why they get a fat guy, who makes constant references to his overweightness, to present sport shows. He clearly doesn't do any sport and has no actual ties with any sport. Outrageous!

    ReplyDelete