Sunday 3 January 2010

Busch Gardens

Today, I went to Busch Gardens in Tampa bay. It was good. This is the theme park with lots of animals and roller coasters, owned by the guy that owns Budweiser. Naturally, as a roller coaster fan, I headed straight for them, managing to persuade my brother to come along. First on the list was 'Gwazi'. (yeah, they all have weird names)



Gwazi is the largest wooden roller coaster in America. And by god, you can really tell its made of wood. Its safe in the long run, but its fast and rickety otherwise. Me and Jason hopped on and it went away. I felt that typical stomach lurch that you do when you have coasted in a while, and it was cool. I looked across at Jason halfway through the ride, and he had a strange expression on his face. It was later revealed that he was trying not to be sick! This was apparently due to lack of food in his stomach rather than the other way round, so we stopped for 'fries' afterwards.



Interestingly, as I got onto the roller coaster I spotted some women staring strangely at me. I assumed they were looking at someone behind me, and carried on. It turned out that they were some fellow employees from the McDonalds where I work in Paignton! That has to be a contender for biggest ever coincedence... with no previous arrangement, same holiday destination, same time of year, same theme park, same ride, at exactly the same time. Creepy.

Ok, next one. We then went on 'Montu'. It is a fast, G-Forcey type of coaster where your feet hang. So pretty cool. We waited for 20 minutes or so, got on and enjoyed it. Compared to Gwazi, it was fairly uneventful!

I did not go on 'Sheikra' but I have done before. It was pretty... vertical... a lot of the time. In fact, I only mention this because I think I took a cool picture of it. Here you go.



So we hung about and saw a few shows as you do in a theme park, and it was a nice day. This was only clouded when my parents realised that Busch Gardens had discontinued their 'free beer' offer in the hospitality centre. On of the cool attractions is known as the SkyRide. It is essentially a cable car system that takes you from one side of the park to another, but travels over the top of the safari, so you can see safari animals beneath you as you go. I made a short film of this, much to my brother's disapproval, who claimed I was being weird again.


It was a cool journey nonetheless. Jason's fear of Egrets again surfaced when confronted with a whole pen of them. For some reason he finds these particular birds disturbing, because they are not scared or people and they have sharp beaks. However, they are tame, otherwise they would not be in a theme park.



Towards the end of the trip, I spotted a lovely area with foliage and sunshine and asked jason to take a picture of me there. This is quite posy, but thats the idea. However, I can't help but think the lighting is perhaps too overpowering, as I look possessed in the lower picture.





Happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment