Tuesday 19 January 2010

Turns out they are not all liars

Today I went to see a Chiropractor. If some of you are wondering why, first of all 'where have you been?' and secondly, I'll tell you what happened in a carefully though out bullet point list.
  • Big inflatable assault course
  • Fell from 9ft
  • Gah
  • "Compression fracture" in spine
  • Pain
  • Hospital appointment- useless
  • Still Pain
  • Chiropractor
  • Win.
So that is what happened. Today, I went to see a local chiropractor called Peter Dixon (or as Phil playfully refers to him, 'Big Pete', even though they have never met and therefore there is no real reason why nicknames should be assigned to strangers, but hey) and he sorted my back out today.

My adventure began with a walk to a place called Batheaston. This turned out to be a fair trek, because my map did not show the gradient.. there were annoying gradual hills everywhere. I got there in the end, and took a seat to fill in the details form. I then realised that this old woman was looking at me funny. She said, 'Are you here to see Mr Dixon?'. I said yes I was and she replied 'Your a bit young to be here'..

Granted, the majority of chiropractic patients are old people. The backs of old people practically mis-align every time they bend over or carry anything heavier than a mug, so you can understand why she was confused. I explained about the accident (minus the bouncy castle bit, in retrospect it was fairly embarrassing) and she understood.

I then met Peter 'Big Pete' Dixon. He was really nice and was obviously very good at his job. In the past, I was always skeptical about how effective chiropractors really are and whether their practice is flawed and under-researched. However, Peter did one thing that disproved me.

As he was carefully feeling my back, he felt one of my thoracic vertebra. He asked me if it was painful, but I didn't think it was. UNTIL HE PUSHED IT. It then dawned on me that he was able to tell which of my vertebrae were painful just by feeling them, before I had even pointed them out. So fair play, I was wrong to doubt his work.

He then set to work after the diagnosis and cracked my back specifically in 3 places which hurt like hell, but then I felt instant relief. He preceded to realign my neck, and also my hip (which I didn't realise was possible. It looks like I screwed up more joints than I thought in the accident!

Anyway, the general idea is that I go back on thursday, then a week later, then 3 weeks later. He reckons he can fix my back, so that is cool. Hopefully I will finally get some comfortable rest!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a callsign from the military when you say "Peter 'Big Pete' Dixon"; sounds like chiropracters (correct my spelling) actually seem to know what they're doing - so next week will he throw you over a bin like Homer did in the Simpsons?

    ReplyDelete