Sunday 3 January 2010

Universal Studios




So, Universal Studios then. Here is me and Jenna by the revolving logo. I have to say, Universal studios is quite a cool place to be. There are some good rides and I love watching the blues brothers tribute act that plays there every now and again. Except this time, there was a new ride. Since last time they had announced, built and opened a new roller coaster. I like roller coasters, so I decided that I would go on it because it was new. The 'Hollywood rip ride rockit' was the first rollercoaster to employ personalised soundtracks to listen as you ride. Basically, as you sit down in the seat, you choose from a list of songs on a touch panel that would like to listen to as you ride the coaster. Pretty neat.

However, there was a minor 'setback'. It was christmas. Where do you suppose everybody turns up at christmas in florida. Well here is a hint, it is not the local sewage plant. Thats right, it felt like half the population of florida had descended on Universal studios, and all decided they want to try out the new roller coaster with me.

So how much would you expect to wait for on that? 30 minutes? An hour on a busy day? Try... 150 minutes. Thats right. 150 minutes of standing behind this same guy who kept burping. 150 minutes of watching the introductory video thats blared out at you all the way around the queue. 150 minutes of shuffling slowly to the end. 150 minutes of continuously awkwardly catching this woman's eye as the queue snaked around. And about 20 minutes of needing to take a dump. As I sat in the seat at the end, I thought, this better be good.

The harness came down, and I chose my song on the panel. Harder better faster stronger by Akon. wait, I dont think so Daft Punk. Because I was a single rider, I was sat next to one of those men who go to Universal Studios on their own wearing a mickey mouse hat... As the coaster began to move, he looked across and said, Good Luck! In my head, I was like "What for, are we going to die or something? and whats with the mickey mouse hat" but I just said "You too!"

The roller coaster was good, but there was one problem. As we left, I quickly realised my mistake in choice of song. Everybody knows that the coolest part of that song is like in the middle where all the words are said one after the other. Well, the ride was about a minute long and we barely got through the intro.

As we pulled in, the weird guy next to me had a face on that looked like he had just had sex with someone. He looked across at me and said "That, was, awesome...". I wanted to say "good for you. And whats with the mickey mouse hat?" but I just smiled and gave a thumbs up. After the harnesses came back up I promptly ran away so he didn't try and talk to me.


And then we went home. And that was my experience of Universal Orlando. A roller coaster. Waiting. Potential paedophile.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha

    Thats amazing

    Whats with the mikey mouse hat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha that sounds funny...well the brief minute where you weren't cursing half of florida for being there.

    ReplyDelete